The Canada Apprentice Loan is an initiative of the Government of Canada to help you complete your apprenticeship in a designated Red Seal trade offered by FTI Ontario.
You can receive up to $4,000 in interest-free loans per period of technical training and use the funds towards tuition, tools, equipment and living expenses, as well as to cover forgone wages or to help support your family.
Eligibility Requirements for the Canada Apprentice Loan
The Canada Apprentice Loan is available in all provinces and territories except Quebec. To be eligible, you must meet all the following criteria:
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person (designated by the Immigration and Refugee Board and Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
- be registered in a Red Seal Trade apprenticeship program that is designated by the province or territory where you are registered as an apprentice
- be enrolled in block release technical training or the equivalent full-time technical training with an approved technical training provider
- pass a credit check (required if you are applying for the first time)
You cannot apply for the Canadian Apprentice Loan if you:
- are a high school student
- are an apprentice registered in the province of Quebec
- are receiving a Canada Student Loan for the same technical training
- have been told that you are restricted from receiving a Canada Apprentice Loan or a Canada Student Loan
- have already received funding for 5 periods of technical training
- have already received six years of interest-free status.
How to Apply for the Canada Apprentice Loan
Click here to Register and/or Sign In with the Canada Apprentice Loan Online Service Portal. This will allow you to securely apply for the Canada Apprentice Loan.
Creating an account through the Canada Apprentice Loan Portal will also allow you to resume a saved application, as well as review and edit a submitted application. It will also allow you to:
- sign up for direct deposit
- view your loan status, history, and account balance
- learn how to repay your loan
- download the forms you will need from the toolbox
- update your contact information
How to Repay Your Canada Apprentice Loan
You will not have to make payments on your Canada Apprentice Loan, and no interest will accumulate, until after you complete or leave your apprenticeship training program.
You will have to start making payments on your loan six months after your apprenticeship ends.
How to Maintain Your Canada Apprentice Loan
Since April 2021, the Government of Canada has stopped the increase of interest on Canada Apprentice Loans until March 31, 2023.
To remain payment-free and maintain your interest-free status while you are still in training, you will need to confirm your registration in a Red Seal Trade apprenticeship program with your province/territory or technical training provider like FTI.
If you are no longer a registered Red Seal apprentice, interest will begin to accrue on your loan 12 months after the end of your technical training or 12 months after your province or territory last confirmed your status as a Red Seal apprentice.
Ensure that your contact information is always up to date in order to confirm your apprenticeship status and any changes with your province/territory or training provider.
For any additional questions and information about the Canada Apprenticeship Loan, click here.
FTI Ontario offers several designated Red Seal Trades covered by the Canada Apprentice Loan that will help kick off your new journey as an apprentice. Click here to learn more and book your training today.