The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) is a financial assistance program that helps cover expenses associated with training as an apprentice in a designated Red Seal trade. The grant, which is worth $1,000 per level of training, is taxable and can be applied for twice during the course of your apprenticeship, for a maximum total of $2,000.
Eligibility Requirements for the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant
The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) is available to registered apprentices who have successfully completed their first or second year of an approved apprenticeship program.
These programs include trades that are part of the Red Seal Program. You can check if your trade is eligible by clicking here.
You must have all of the following requirements to be eligible for the AIG:
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a protected person
- not be a high school student
- demonstrate registration and completion with acceptable provincial/territorial AIG supporting documents
- be registered with a provincial/territorial apprenticeship authority as an apprentice in a designated Red Seal trade
The AIG is available to registered apprentices who meet the eligibility requirements and are enrolled in adult learning classes, professional development courses, or vocational training programs in Quebec. If you fit this description, you may be able to apply for the grant.
How to Apply for the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant
Applying for the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) is easy and can be completed by following these steps:
- Collect your supporting documents. To learn which supporting documents you require by province or territory, click here. Submit your application before having all your supporting documents to secure your submission date. You will have 28 days after registering online to gather and submit your supporting documents.
- Gather your personal information, including your Social Insurance Number (SIN), provincial or territorial apprentice ID number, and banking information for direct deposit.
- Complete your online application, which takes about 30 minutes and an estimated 28 calendar days for Service Canada process and approve your application.
- Submit your supporting documents online, by mail or in person, but only after you have already submitted an application.
Applying for an Apprenticeship Incentive Grant can help you start an exciting journey as an apprentice with the Finishing Trades Institute of Ontario, which offers a variety of rewarding apprenticeship programs. Click here to learn more and apply today!