Apprentices attending a recognized Apprenticeship Training program may apply to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) to collect Employment Insurance (EI) and/or Training Allowance (TA) while in school. Click here to Apply Online.
The objective of this program is to provide you income support while you are in school; it is not the objective of this program to replace your income fully while you are in school (Note 1). This information is provided to you to assist in the Employment Insurance Application process. It is our experience that EI claims can be processed quickly, efficiently and with little interruption providing the initial application forms are complete and all the necessary documentation is attached. Please read through the below information carefully.
Should you have further questions regarding the information contained in this package, please contact the FTI staff.
1. Eight weeks prior to the start of a class, FTI will invite you to school. You must call the school to confirm your attendance for the class.
2. Two week before the class starts, we will notify HRSDC of your attendance. This allows EI representatives to begin background preparation work to speed up the processing of your claim.
3. You collect and verify all the required documents before attending class.
4. FTI staff will meet with you on your 1st day of class to review your documentation with you to ensure its completeness and correctness (Note 2), and to identify additional information you may require.
5. EI Representatives will arrive at FTI the first week of class to have apprentices fill out the required forms.
6. EI Representatives will then go back to their offices and verify the information you provided and then start your claim.
7. Apprentices can expect to receive their first cheque up to 3 weeks after filing their claim, if there are no problems with your claim (see Common causes of delays below).